Saturday 20 May 2017

Catering to an Audience



Catering to an Audience ©
By
Michael Casey

Well its been as active day, and thank God my pain levels from Arthur my arthritis have gone down after a few really bad nights. So today we went to have a peek at another house, on the internet it looked oh so good, but as soon as we arrived it looked worn out, and as soon as I looked inside it was way too small. In less that 5 mins I knew it was rubbish. We have to satisfy the needs of the girls, it must not be too far from their school, so this limits our choice, we have to cater for their needs.

Catering for others needs really is a pain in the a, the a, well you get my meaning. If you organise a Prom as my daughter has you get criticised for the menu or the decorations. At least this will educate my daughter, you NEVER volunteer for anything, just ask anybody in the Army. I suppose its a way of learning, the hard way, which some may say is the best way.

In my own life everything has been the hard way, so you’ll have to forgive me if any cynicism shows through my Altruism, that’s the only ism I profess, Altruism. Did you spot it through my 1,000,000 words? No. Ok, please yourselves as Frankie Howerd would say.

When I write do I say this will please that audience or this audience. No I don’t. I have put in a few references and whether they have worked or not you’ll have to ask my Polish readers. Otherwise I tell the tale and hope its simplicity crosses all barriers, judging by the readership all over the world in over 25 places on the Map.

There is a difference between Simplicity and Simplistic go look it up in the dictionary, there’s something for the Philosophy students. When I write I want as many people as possible to understand the tale, without the use of cheap alliteration, or sentences that are so long that you forget what was said at the start.

 I also use small paragraphs, so blame Elaine Polin a NY Poet I once had fun with on FB many years ago, God Bless her for that advice, I also did a piece to camera on video on my Author page on Amazon, that was directed to her by way of thanks. I hope she forgives me all my trespasses, or she may just call me a Brummie.
I do not cater for my audience, I am not a chip shop, I create my delights and then pass them out to my audience like an old grandfather who has just discovered his dead wife’s cook book or dictionary. I rely on my own vocabulary, if its not in my head I won’t struggle or cheat to find more words. It would be like a mechanic walking down the road to borrow a jack, if I don’t have my own jack then I’ll use brute force.

Its more fun for me as a writer to mine my mind for stories and memories, and trigger history within and then put it on the page. Now I hope that doesn’t sound too pretentious, that’s the way I write, if I follow the path of words and it comes to a stile then my style of writing reflects it. What? Just think about it, shall I give you an example to explain?

If you climb over that wall to go scrumping and get caught, what do you do? You pretend you are looking for your cat Totoro or you have lost your kite, so you change your behaviour. You change your story or you lie. Rather like Politicians at election time, if plan A does not work then plan B is brought into action. Or if you are Cameron you have no plan A nor B, so you resign and head for Las Vegas and the lecture circuit. I am available at 1/10 of his rates, so do get in touch.

As I meander through my field of words I give you references, Cameron has just emailed one to me, I’ll have to get a dictionary to understand what it means. So I give you references back and forth, and I hope they will spark memories in your own minds.

If you like I am a bright spark, in the best possible way, you have all the kindling within you, all the wood and all the coal. I just rearrange it in your fireplace and use my spark to bring it to life. Which could be a really really filthy metaphor.

But like all things I write they are always better when I’ve finished, and there are just the warm embers glowing in the dark. Which may or may not be another metaphor. When I have finished writing I read back the piece after I’ve done my security, NHS please follow my example, then and only then when I read it back fully to myself do I know have I catered for my audience.  

  





 

No comments:

It's me Michaelgcasey@hotmail.com the fat silver haired writer in shades from Birmingham England

 this might explain to you all It's me Michaelgcasey@hotmail.com the fat silver haired writer in shades from Birmingham England I decide...