Thursday 2 April 2020

The Dead and The Living


The Dead and The Living ©


by


Michael Casey




I first saw a deceased when I was nine years old ,my father said not


to worry as the dead are the same as the living , only the laughter


has left them , the sparkle has gone from their eyes , the worry has


been lifted from their shoulders , and their voice has vanished to


eternity .


In paradise the sparkle will return for it is the twinkle of the


stars , the laughter will return too for it is the morning breeze and


the turning tides are their sides shaking with laughter .


I treat the deceased with the same courtesy as I give to the living ,


though I find the deceased are always more polite . My father also


had a few words to say about the living .


He said that the living are only the caretakers of the soul , yet


they think their existance is everything , that they know everything


because they experience many things with their senses .


What the living don't acknowledge is that their time is short and


when I lay their bodies to rest then their souls continue without


them , without their strong , without their weak , without their


beautiful or even ugly temporary form , to where I cannot say , only


that it is a better place .


Percy the undertaker placed the lid on the coffin ,the soul was free




THE BEGINNING
**************

I wrote this poem in November 1987 on a Sunday on a bus while going to work at StatsMR  later part of ACNielsen, I had started to write my first book,
as Pad Webb had suggested

I wanted to have the Poet and Undertaker say something about his role
this comes from The Butcher The Baker and The Undertaker
which I was going to call A Nation of Shopkeepers but I thought nobody
would know their History, so I chose the occupations on the street.

this poem I hope brings comfort to people, at this time especially.....




No comments:

Today 12th May has been my Mother's 28th year in Heaven she died in 1996

Today 12th May has been my Mother's 28th year in Heaven she died in 1996 one of her friends is 99 now another died at 99 a third is in t...