Friday 27 April 2018

Education always reach for the Stars By michaelgcasey from 2011

Education always reach for the Stars

By michaelgcasey
     


Where I was born and grew up, is only 2miles or so from where I live now. I was born in the shadow of a brewery and ended up working for a Market Research company doing research into alcohol sales and I was a shandy drinker. Do you want a girlie I was asked when we went to the pub, sadly the barman died early, so you can pray for him.

My father, my dad was a blacksmith and my mum was a farm girl. Both from County Kerry, the best county, just you ask any Irishman. My dad was apprenticed to a Blacksmith in Rathmore, in 1995 we went back an rediscovered the very  place next to a new road. The blacksmiths had turned into a hairdressers and the store had been demolished.

My dad always spoke fondly of the blacksmith. That blacksmith never had any children, but my dad was treated as family. Go out woman to the hen-house and see has the hen laid. This would be about 1935/6.It there were 3 eggs then they all had one. If 2 the blacksmith did without , and if only 1 egg was laid my dad got it. This is how “family” should be. 

In 1944  my dad came to England and the steelworks in Brasshouse Lane.  For 40 years he endured  the heat, 400degrees beside the furnace. You could lose 1/2 a stone a day in sweat. My dad ofter did 12hour shifts and sometimes 16. So coming from that he always wanted his children to do better, EDUCATION was the key and it still is. 

I remember asking him what subjects I should do when we did the 3rd year split. His answer was I don’t know, but do what you like but do your best. Now perhaps that should be written on every blackboard throughout the country. My dad had a large family and he loved and encouraged us. 

So imagine his pride when in 1968/9 one son went to the best university in the land. Oxford.Then a  few years later another son went to the opposition best university in the land.Cambridge. Today do kids listen to ignorant teachers? Back at our grammar school we were encouraged.

 And mum always said you are as good as anybody.

 Me I’m the failure I’m just a Wordsmith. 

1,300,000 words over 15 books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Casey/e/B00571G0YC







No comments:

Today 12th May has been my Mother's 28th year in Heaven she died in 1996

Today 12th May has been my Mother's 28th year in Heaven she died in 1996 one of her friends is 99 now another died at 99 a third is in t...