Tuesday 20 February 2018

A Brief History of Pain

A Brief History of Pain ©
By
Michael Casey

Well it is 2.30am on 20th Feb 2018, and after a good family day tonight I am all alone with just Pain for company. I’ve had to get up as I’m in so much pain and lying down just hurts. My left shoulder feels like I’ve been stabbed, after 5 or six such stabbings and screaming out in pain at the top of my voice I’ve decided to get out of bed.

I had been congratulating myself because its several weeks since I last had to get up in the middle of the night due to pain. I was thinking about dialing 999 but they’ll just say take pain killers. The pain is so severe some times you’d welcome the sight of the undertaker, yes it’s not Micky Mouse pain.

During the day nobody sees your pain, you just stroll like John Travolta to the shops and have a joke with the workers, ok bore them while they smile through gritted teeth at your inane humour. They don’t see you run out of energy like the bunny rabbit with the rubbish batteries in as in the adverts.

They don’t hear you scream for the Movelat, it works in 5 minutes you know. So this is my life. Not pain all the time, but too much of the time. Pain appears like a mugger at a time and place and location on my body of its choosing. Some days left hip, some days right hip, some days my back. Some days I have a limp others I do not. On good days I’m a very fast walker, as I used to be all my life till 2013.

It is all so random. That’s why it is so annoying, I never know when I’ll be screaming in pain, or just mildly discomforted. Its a merry go round of pain, up and down and around and around, with just a bit of Tinnitus as occasional accompaniment. Yes I do have many good days but I have too many days overshadowed by pain. Not forgetting the occasional stabbing pain to the heart which is not a heart attack, and when I did call 999 that time and spent a night in hospital, they did not really know the cause.

So as I wait for sleep to overpower me so I can chance lying down, please understand what it is like for me. But more importantly think about people in far more pain, like your old granddad, and try and have some patience and love for them when they are having bad days.

This has been a brief history of pain, I hope it explains choose to act the fool, especially when I write.




*******

a few hours after I wrote this my pain was so bad I had to go to hospital.
they were good and  looked after me.

No comments:

A Korean in BIRMINGHAM travelling. something to read for you books of mine in Korean

Humour Writing by the fat silver haired writer in shades from Birmingham England read in 162 countries so far https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micha...