Wednesday 12 September 2018

Old Smiles

Old Smiles

Old Smiles ©

By Michael Casey

We ended up watching Suits from the start today, and we all really enjoyed it. No we are not Duchess fans, we’re indifferent to her, but God Bless her and her new bloke, maybe one day he’ll remember where he left his razor. Harry, a beard just does not suit you, and I speak as somebody who had a beard 40 years ago. However Suits did make us smile, all the memories came flooding back, smiles of happiness and laughter.  I did actually work for a major law firm here in Birmingham, and I did hide a copy of my novel, The Butcher The Baker and The Undertaker in the Law Library which was next door to my print room, hello to the beautiful Ang if she is still working there.

Smiles come and crack our solemn faces when we see or hear things from the past, we all have the Oh I Remember moment, music is the greatest tool for making memories move us, to tears, to tears of laughter too. At the moment I’m listening to Kate Bush singing The Man with the Child in his Eyes, and I think she’s talking about me. Then I look at the image of Kate Bush and I smile not just because of the song, but because Kate Bush looks a lot like my sister in law, an awful lot. My sister in law never sings nor dances around the kitchen at Christmas nor at Easter in a leotard, she is a lawyer after, though the dog is called Heathcliff, and does bark rather like Kate Bush.

Well I’ve had a bite to eat and a bowl of Cheerios too so I’m all set up the evening, as I talk to you I think of my small daughter’s eating habits, face covered in Heinz tomato soup, and it HAS to be Heinz. If I can find the photo I’ll add them to the end of this piece, photos bring smiles galore. As I speak my daughter has reappeared after choir practice, on the way home she kidnapped or is it catnapped a cat, so she has photos of her and the fat cat as she carries it to the new place. I asked her how she managed to do that, her reply was that she is a cat whisperer. Mum, is a witch  and witches  do control cats, so I imagine it does run in the family.

Bread are singing in the background now, so I’m thinking of bread. My own dirty habit, ok just one that’ll I’ll talk about, the rest you can imagine. Well I used to drink, just cocoa milk and sugar in a giant mug all mixed up, then I’d dunk my folded sliced bread into it and eat the soggy result. This would leave tide marks of cocoa all over my face. So I suppose my young daughter inherited the eating habits from me. Though that was 10 years or more ago for her, and 50 years for me. But it does bring back the smiles.

Photos make us all smile so much, the old fashioned albums, we will be having a clear out soon so I’ll have to decide what to do with all my old albums. I may just take digital snaps of everything and then bury the old photos somewhere. I have so many old fashioned albums. So I may kill two birds with one stone, have a look at all the old memories, and photos are memories, as I record and backup all the old photo albums.

Why do we say cheese in photos, why not say any other word,  like FART, then people would really laugh in all those posed photos. As you know I hate those pompous photos for writers that’s why you get my nonsense instead. Are you smiling now? I will be getting a new bed soon, so should I pose like Burt Reynolds naked on my bed with just my dictionary for company? Would it sell more hard copies of my navel, or novels, or would a cover like that only be suitable on an ebook? It’s so very hard to decide what exactly to choose. Maybe I need a makeover to improve my appearance, but I am as hairy as a bear, so people may think a naked Michael Casey on a bed looks too much like Paddington or Tubacca.

Are you all ok now, none of you are smiling just heaving into a bucket. Well I could go on but my aches are becoming a pain so I’ll leave it for tonight. I’m glad the wifi is back, it means I can annoy you all. I hope you all have stumbled over the translations just download them, though I’m far better in English.  And with that I’m going to practice posing naked on the carpet, though I’ll have to hurry the vicar is coming later on to show us his new mittens.


No comments:

Spend 8 million of my TAX money on the needy

Government offers free portraits of King Charles to churches, universities and hospitals as part of £8m scheme Churches, universities and ho...