Saturday 15 October 2016

Expectation or Don't Count Your Chickens



Expectation or Don’t Count Your Chickens ©
By Michael Casey

Expectation, Hope or even Counting Your Chickens Before They Hatch can be a very dangerous thing. You can end up with egg all over your face, or even getting your face slapped. You think you’ll win an election, only to have defeat instead, but only a fool would want to be a Politician in any place anywhere.

Winning can be a flick of a coin, literally, in Las Vegas or in a tied election. It’s all a game of Luck, as my brother said Life is a Game of Roulette, he speaks as an Economics graduate from Cambridge, my other brother was at Oxford, what did he say, he said try computers and it changed my life. So by following one piece of advice the whole path of your life can change. Just as one moment of madness can ruin it, listening to your phone while crossing the road and you end up in a wheel chair for life.

Exam results are a moment of great expectations, my daughter aims for all A*s which is the top grade, in everything, my mother used to say to us it did not matter we could go and work in Woolworths. As for our blacksmith and steel worker dad he said, I have no education do what you like but do your best. It brings a tear to my eye as I share this with you, his Love was strong, as was mum’s, but to me he was like a brother and a best friend.

When you plan things, always have a plan B, our Politicians here in UK should have had a Plan B for Brexit, but they did not bother out of arrogance and it would send bad vibes or so they thought. They say Eton gives you confidence and it stands you in good stead whatever you do. Personally most of us could never go to Eton, though the joke is I went to Eton you know, but only to unblock the drains. It’s an old Michael Bentine joke but HE is worth a Google or two.

My own Eton was CPNEC Birmingham, 3 years in a 4 star deluxe business hotel, it was an Education in itself. There I learnt to expect the unexpected, not to count any chickens, every day was different but always tiring, 12 hour shifts walking on marble and never sitting down. So if you want your child to grow and get loads of confidence make them work at a hotel during those long Eton holidays. While waiting for those A Level results make them take a gap year working in a hotel. 

You meet thousands of people in the foyer of a hotel, I think I must have met 100,000 over the 3 years. As for my brother he invented gap years 40 years ago. He worked at a coal mine in Newbold Vernon for a year before getting into Cambridge thanks to inverted snobbery and the 4 straight As did help too.

As you can see I’m the stupid one, the writer of family, I’ve done a lot of manual work, but I’ve also observed many many things, so I’ve ended up by accident as a writer. 30 years and nearly one million words, over 10 books and I’m on the 11th book now. 

I have no expectation of ever being recognised as a Luvly Writer as Clare Moore once said of my writing. I do hope that my daughters look back and remember the laughter, that’s my only hope, and that’d be enough for me, I’m not counting any chickens, but once the girls fly the nest they’ll always have smiles in their hearts. 



https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michael-Casey/e/B00571G0YC














No comments:

Met a Lithuanian in shop with his daughter today. TRANSLATIONS here in Russian for him, he said he could read Russian

Russian Translations at end Thursday 6 January 2022 Hello Other, wherever that is Hello Other, wherever that is Could it be Putin, or the un...