Tuesday 9 April 2013

Tuesday and Malta turns me to toast

So Tuesday came and the sun shone and shone and shone, it was a nice day , a very nice day. I had a lie in while the girls tried to eat the hotel out of house and home. I had a lazy shower and then I joined them. I found the largest glass I could find and tried to finish all the orange juice, its a 2 gallon container at least. The scrambled eggs were great, so I had a plate of them, looked like free range eggs, and tasted that way too. The girls ferried food to me and I really enjoyed it. From field to plate is a short distance here in Malta and my stomach willl testify to that.

Today's plan was to go and see the fishing village, JJ has laid plans for every day, she should have been in the red army. Today we were to take 2 buses, first to Valletta, then another to the fishing village. The buses are full to bursting point, but that is and adventure in itself. The 2nd bus goes through the countryside and you see a fair wack of the country, such as vinyards and all manner of stuff.

The girls wanted to go back to Valletta to buy Chinese souvenirs with Malta on for their English friends in school, but we said on the way back we'd do it. Now the fishing village, who's name I don't remember is really nice, its a working fishing port, lots of fishing folk and fishing boats. The girls really loved it as did we. It was there that I tried my first Maltese pint, Cisk is the brand, and it is very good, and I speak as a 12 pint a year  drinker.The girls didn't want a thing so I enjoyed my 2 pints and baked in the sun. As I sit here talking to you I and radiating like the sun, the whole of my face is red, as red as a tomato, the girls siad it was but I didn't believe them until I saw myself in the mirror whe we got home to the hotel. The girls really enjoy coming home as the cleaner has visited the room and left the stuffed toys sitting up on the bed.

We sampled the food at the sea place, JJ had her dish of fish and she loved it, much better that sea bass was her remark, and SHE is a fish person, she knows all about fish, ask anybody in the Fish Market back home in Birmingham, she is Mrs Fish. So full marks indeed for the food there. The girls shared a pizza and they loved that too, I had their slops, I still had room to eat after my own meal and the two pints. Eating must have taken 2 hours plus, the sea laps against the quay and you just enjoy the feeling, Malta is great so come on over.

We tried to visit another church, so I could keep up my conversation with God, and there were lots of green bunting everywhere, so I assumed it must have been a special day. In fact as we edged forward through the crowd we were told it was just a film as they were recreating the sad tale of a 12 year old child who had died in the sea. There was a stutue scene of a fisherman and a boy and a dog, but the bus came so we had to jump on it.

In Valetta we were able to get the final bits and pieces for the girls' friends back home. Finally it was 3rd time lucky and I could get into a church to say some prayers. Today actually is a special day it would have been my mother's birthday if she was still with us. The church was Saint Francis' the humble church, Annie could see the irony. The church had people doing prayers led by a woman on a mike, I couldn't tell if it was the Rosary or some other prayers, I don't speak Maltese after all.

Then we came home, and I made sure I had the hot water first, revenge is hot water and hogging the bathroom. We also enjoyed Magnum icecream, its so nice on a hot day. My nephew back in Birmingham told us it was still miserable back there, and so our day ended. Apart from me coming down  here to write it up. I must remember to buy a hat tomorrow.

No comments:

HONG KONG pay me

HONG KONG pay me I see you reading avidly so buy a book on Amazon that way you can pay me a few pennies https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Mich...