Friday 16 November 2012

The Book Thief


Built another bookcase today, the front room really looks nice now. All the ringbinders are all tidied up, my CDs are all neatly in a row now. Only I don't have a HiFi anymore, perhaps in the future, but I do have my music on the computer.
I have been reading The Book Thief which is narrated by Death, I'm at page 200 now. I am very very impressed by the writing, I'll never be that good, but I'll try to be as good as I can be, cannot say fairer than that. I reached the part where the painter said "A promise is a promise" he would hide a Jew from the insane Nazi machine, his life had been saved by a Jew and a dear friend, who had taught him to play the accordian  in The Great War and he made a promise to the widow,   "a promise is a promise", I cried. Such simplicity, such honour. A life saved now 20 years later he would protect the son because "a promise is a promise" The painter's only life would now be in danger, but "a promise is a promise." I've still got to finish the book but it  really did make me think of the war generation, the war generation in Germany, they suffered the madness of Evil. All I can say is read the book.

No comments:

Met a Lithuanian in shop with his daughter today. TRANSLATIONS here in Russian for him, he said he could read Russian

Russian Translations at end Thursday 6 January 2022 Hello Other, wherever that is Hello Other, wherever that is Could it be Putin, or the un...