Saturday 20 December 2014

Sampling POP another piece from my book 300 and Not OUT

Sampling Pop ©
By
Michael Casey
The thing about children is that they like POP, yes POP with a capital P. I have to say or even admit
that POP is part of my life too. Yes I did talk about booze a day or two ago, but today I’ll talk about
pop.
I’ve just rushed back from Aldi so I can rush out again to pick the kids up, school run ends next week.
So today I’ve picked up a pack of snacks for them, as well as bananas and grapes. I’ve got 4 litres of
apple juice too, and some more milk for my coffee and cereals, though I never mix coffee with my
cereals. So that’s an ordinary shopping basket, though I can remember my own mum with leather
shopping bags before plastic bags were invented, and then condemned decades later.
Where was I? Forgive me my small daughter has just feeding me small seedless grapes, I’m sure all
daughters do it. Anyway today the big decision was should I try Pink Lemonade, it looked very
strange, very pink. So I bought one, only 40p for 2 litres, an Aldi bargain. I tried a bit but it tasted
strange, I waited for it to get cold in the fridge, only it had a strange taste when I tried it, then my big
daughter sampled it, her verdict, too fizzy.
We’ll wait an hour for it to get really cold then we’ll try it again, you have to be like a scientist when
you sample pop. If you don’t believe me just go ask your kids, and I mean those under 11; children
over 11 are too sophisticated they are Dr Pepper drinkers after all. Once correct temperature is
reached then the sampling can begin, and don’t forget the straws. And if you drink alcohol make
sure you hide it while sampling pop, otherwise your kids may sample that instead.
A few packs of crisps should also be available, this clears the children’s pallet while sampling Pink
Lemonade, then when all done a bowl of freshly diced fruit. I can hear the wife chopping and dicing
behind me, her knife skills are quite something, I think she used to be in a circus or something,
though to be honest I don’t labour the point.
So that’s it for today, another look inside the Chinese/Irish Adam’s family, I’m heading for the fridge
now, Mr Pink is waiting for me.

No comments:

Unlucky. 13

Unlucky. 13 that's you lot 13 countries in. 24 hours on this site have you got nothing better to do I have had horrible tinnitus and pai...