Wednesday 5 March 2014

Accents


Accents ©
By
Michael Casey

I'm from Birmingham, need I say more. In fact I don't really have any accent at all. Why? Well my parents were from County Kerry, the best county just to remind you, and my mother never lost her accent even after 50 years in Birmingham.

And dad was in a steel works for 40 years alongside Welshmen. "Hello Dear how are you?" was his refrain, on the family holidays to Abergele the Welsh sometimes thought HE was Welsh.

I never heard mum's accent, except on the phone and it took 30years before we got a phone. My wife is from the east, the Far East, Shanghai, so I had to speak clearly so she could understand me.
I don't hear her accent at all, on the phone she is totally Chinese sounding, and incredibly sexy sounding, to my ears anyway.

As for our  eldest daughter she sounds very very posh, like Veruka in Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate factory, totally English sounding.
 Our younger daughter, is not as posh, but on the phone, we cannot tell our daughters apart. So accent is a fun thing.

My sister in law's sister has a Welsh husband and they live in Scotland, and have a daughter. In their house your hear, English, Welsh and Scottish accents.

In my house you hear Chinese and Shanghai accents, when our bilingual daughters speak Chinese it’s with a very posh Chinese accent.

www.michaelgcasey.typepad.com  to hear my posh Birmingham accent, I tell 127 stories, need I say more?  


No comments:

Lady Gaga and Me , but really about TRUMP

Saturday 3 February 2018 Lady Gaga and Me I had to get up in the night for an hour due to pain.  I've just read about Gaga  having to ca...