Tuesday 1 October 2013

Music Matters


Music Matters ©
By Michael Casey

I’ve just watched a film about Phil Collins’ Face Value album, it was very interesting. So while I talk to you I’ll be listening to him, it does bring back memories, my dad used to like him too. Dad would come in from the kitchen where he was shaving and raise the volume on the radio, I should add the bathroom upstairs was too cold to shave in, he wasn’t shaving  while my mum peeled the potatoes in the sink.

Music matters because it touches all our hearts, yours, mine, everybody’s. That’s why producers are so rich, I’d go on X file myself but it’s more likely Simon would want me as his new 17.5 stone boyfriend  than me win the show. Joking  apart what is so interesting is how the layers are laid down on a track. How this added to that makes something more soundworthy, a little bit of base or an added bit of horns in Phil Collins case.

The layering of sound builds up a picture, it is sounds as pictures. When I write or dream I add pictures and I can see how my story will be if only a producer takes it on. The pictures are in my head and I hope the reader sees those pictures or I give them enough information so they can make their own.

I bought a picture from the local library’s art exhibition last week, it was with my Birthday money my sister gave me. I was talking to the library lady about how music and art was “quicker” than writing in touching the senses. So when I paid for the picture, its hanging on the wall to my right, and I’ll be praying for the artist every day now, sadly he died of cancer recently, so I gave a poem of mine to the library lady to read. Then I said compare my poem to his painting.

It took her a little bit for her to read my poem, but I think I proved my point, painting IS quicker than prose. When technology advances so words create imagines in the mind immediately, and no I’m not talking about substances to all you old Hippies out there. Only then would we have a fair race as far as touching people’s hearts.

Music is of course the hands down winner. It must be because we have a beating heart, and love too is a rhythm, you have your own picture in your minds now. Music and the lap of the sea on the shore is in itself a form of music. Wind too touches our face, and rain is a beat on our face. Then we are encouraged into music by the rhythm of the tree swaying in the breeze. At the nipple we are rocked to sleep, so movement and the rhythm of suckling is in all of us.

Nature makes us all musicians, birds rat a tat tat as they talk to each other and build a nest in the tree. We walk along to the beat of our heels on the pavement, we chew gum to a rhythm too. The planets move too, there is even The Planet Suite .  Music Matters because without it we would not be alive.

No comments:

It's me Michaelgcasey@hotmail.com the fat silver haired writer in shades from Birmingham England

 this might explain to you all It's me Michaelgcasey@hotmail.com the fat silver haired writer in shades from Birmingham England I decide...