Wednesday 3 June 2015

Desktop Background

Desktop Background ©

By Michael Casey

I thought I’d better write something new as it is a new month, 3rd June 2015 is today’s date, so I’ve decided to write about Desktop Background. How do I decide what to write about? I have written over 600 stories/articles now, so I have covered a lot of subjects.
Well I had the Eiffel Tower as a desktop background, my wife had taken the photo at Easter when she and the girls were in Paris. I missed the trip as I’m still recovering from surgery, as you all know. So I was bored with it and was thinking about changing it, so hey presto my new topic presented itself. Desktop Background.

Yes, it’s as easy as that, then I sit down for an hour or so and it’s done. It’s a little challenge for myself, can I write on the given topic. In England we have a radio show called Just a Minute, which has been going on for 50 years I think. You can research it yourselves. The people on the show have to speak for just a minute without deviation, hesitation, or repeating themselves, repeating themselves, I said that already. So if you like my short pieces are like the radio show, spontaneous.

As we all have families, we tend to have silly photos as our desktop backgrounds. I like silly photos, I hate the pretentious  and cold ones that Royal families used to take. So I have a family picture as my desktop background then when I tire of it I replace it with an even funnier one.

Each time I post I try and add a photo so that the readers can see just who is this Michael Casey or should I say michaelgcasey. It’ll help if ever they want to buy my 8 books on Amazon. I image you are all the same, you get a sillier photo so it just has to go on the desktop background. We are like Modern Family on tv, we’ve only recently discovered the show by the way. So we all have thousands of photos, digital cameras have a lot to be blamed for, so we are all spoilt for choice.

What does your desktop background say about you? Or your screensaver for that matter. Do you have naked models? It used to be the Pirelli Calendar, now the whole of the Internet can provide all kinds of everything. Is it smoking hot Firemen, holding a hose. Is it a country cottage, or a snap from your holiday in Provence? A picture of your mum, or the stone shack where she was born in Kerry Eire? A picture of a shire horse ploughing the land.

Our choice or choices give so much away, and Sherlock will easily know what lies beneath, such as if we are a secret nudist, I of course would need everything ironed. Our desktop background is in fact a key to our very heart. What we truly love is framed on our computer screen. If you see screens with selfies on then that is worrying.
Generally it’s the puppy dog we loved as a child, or the pet we now have. Boyfriends can change, but puppy love lasts forever, just ask Donny Osmond.

So desktop backgrounds are the modern memento, we carry our computers and fancy phones with us everywhere, they contain all our memories. As I’m sat here at the computer I look around and see photos scattered all over the shelves, books some even in Chinese, a heap of coats on the old sofa, our piano with the angel playing the flute above. These things are home. But as we all travel and go to work we cannot brings these things with us.

So desktop backgrounds and screensavers, these are our home, they suckle us just as much as our mothers’ breast did. With these images on our screens, on our computer screens and on our phones we are safe, we are home. We may be far away in Shanghai we may be in Palo Alto, we may even be here in Birmingham, the real Birmingham the one in England.

Wherever we are we are home, we are family, we are safe and happy and not alone, the images stored on  desktop background and screen savers are Love, they are dad holding our hand when we were afraid. They are mum giving a consoling hug. They are that fireman we met the other month, the one who, well you know, the one who drenched you. You can be in Osaka far far away, homesick but determine, yet you are not alone because you have the desktop background and screen saver to remind you of all the love.


The Beatles sang Love is all you Need, I’d say have a desktop background, its smiles better.


No comments:

Today 12th May has been my Mother's 28th year in Heaven she died in 1996

Today 12th May has been my Mother's 28th year in Heaven she died in 1996 one of her friends is 99 now another died at 99 a third is in t...